Friday, November 1, 2013

el mundo está esperando por vos / the world is waiting for you

Six months ago I was a student at the University of Virginia. I was writing essays, baking challah with Challah for Hunger at UVa, leading students in raising money for Relay For Life, and attending Foxfields horseraces with my sorority sisters and other close friends. Six months ago I was only in the midst of the application process for JDC Entwine Global Jewish Service Corp. 

My life has done a 180 degree turn in these last six months but I wouldn´t change it for the world. Now I ride the subway every morning, live in an apartment by myself, communicate daily in a different language, spend my day thinking about how to connect Jewish teens in Buenos Aires with other teens and Judaism around the world, and talk to my friends and family through written communication or video chats. Six months ago I lived on a different continent. Now I light Shabbat candles each Friday night with staff at Hebraica, a Jewish community center in Buenos Aires, Argentina and interact daily with people who I had no idea existed six months ago. I try everyday to do my part to strengthen the already vibrant Jewish community of Buenos Aires. These last six months I have broadened my sense of the word community and have started to experience and truly live the idea of one Jewish world and an interconnected global Jewish community.

I am only a few months into my fellowship but already am so happy I took the leap of faith to apply and serve abroad for the year. They have released the applications for next year and I want to encourage each and every person I know to apply. Please feel free to contact me with any questions, comments, or concerns you might have about the fellowship or connect me with people you know that might be interested. While I am serving in Argentina, other fellows this year are in locations such as China, Ethiopia, Germany, Haiti, India, Israel, Latvia, Estonia, Turkey, Ukraine and Rwanda. This fellowship is a once in a lifetime opportunity; I hope you consider applying! 

Applications for the 2014-15 JDC Entwine Global Jewish Service Corps are now open!
The Global Jewish Service Corps (JSC) is a year-long, paid opportunity for Jewish young professionals to volunteer overseas with JDC, the world’s leading Jewish humanitarian organization.

Responding to international Jewish and humanitarian needs, JSC fellows facilitate and create innovative programs using their unique skills and talents.

Apply if you: 
  • Have an interest in global Jewish issues and international humanitarian needs 
  • Have experience in formal/informal education or international development 
  • Want an opportunity to be a part of a community of young, Jewish volunteers, from all over the world
Qualifications of an applicant:
  • College degree or equivalent and proven academic achievement 
  • Strong leadership, communication skills, and capacity for independent work
  • Knowledge of other languages is valuable in many placements
The Global Jewish Service Corps is open to young Jewish professionals all over the world!

Application timeline:
  • Applications for the 2014-15 JDC Entwine Global Jewish Service Corps are now open.
  • Deadline: December 31, 2013
  • Email globalservice@jdcny.org for an application

No comments:

Post a Comment