Wednesday, November 13, 2013

richmond y fútbol en buenos aires / richmond and soccer in buenos aires

This past week, I had the pleasure of getting to hang out with some fellow Jewish Richmonders! Stacey and Frank were visiting Buenos Aires so after meeting them at their hotel for a drink, we went to a restaurant named Aldo´s that is known for wine (they have over 550 different types of wine). It was a wonderful night and it was great talking about common friends and families...I felt like I was back in Richmond for the night!
I woke up a few days later to a text from Stacey inviting me to join them for an Argentinian fútbol game (soccer for my friends in the USA). If you do not know anything about Argentine fútbol, it is a BIG deal. People are very passionate and die-hard fans.  So much so that only the fans of the home team are allowed in the stadiums as they are trying to avoid problems arising between the fans. Fans are "members" of the fútbol clubs and go to the majority of their team´s games. The two largest and well-known teams in Buenos Aires are Boca Juniors and River Plate. I joined Stacey, Frank, and their friends at a River Plate v. Lanus game.
It was an experience sitting in the stadium and listening to the fans cheer, chant, scream, boo the other team, and sing...although it was a different experience only hearing cheering for one team (it made me feel bad for the other team). Looking around the stadium, I could see the hopefullness, frustration, excitedness, and caring expressions on their faces, it was really awesome! I attempted to learn some of the songs and chants so that I could sing and cheer along with the fans...I found myself jumping up with the fans when River was close to scoring and throwing up my hands in disgust when the other team scored.
 Unfortunately, River was not victorious this time...the game ended up with Lanus winning 3-1. This outraged the River fans (aka the reason why fans from the opposite team are not allowed in). A few minutes before the game ended, a small fight broke out in the stands so our guide had us leave the stadium early to make sure we would not get caught up in the mayhem. On our way out, we saw police ready in case a riot broke out...this really exhibits just how passionate and emotional fans get about their fútbol.
It was so fun experiencing a fútbol game here!  Thank you Stacey and Frank for your generosity and warm company, it was wonderful seeing you both in Buenos Aires!

No comments:

Post a Comment