Thursday, October 24, 2013

¡dos meses aca! / two months here!

Today marks the day...I have officially been in the southern hemisphere for two months! 
This past month has been full of adventures including the beginning of spring (aka shorts weather),
celebrating "El Dia De La Madre" (Mother's Day) with my cousins at their club Macabi,
inspiring new projects at work, 
Teens from Hebraica, a Jewish community center in Buenos Aires chatting with members of BBYO in Boston
plenty of delicious asados (Argentinian barbeques), 
visiting with old friends,
I was so happy to see Fed, a fellow Wahoo, and meet his family that lives in Buenos Aires
reading my first "real" book in Spanish,
As I read, I've been underlining the words I do not understand so I can look them up at a later time.
thought provoking talks with the madrichim from Hebraica from a VP in McDonalds in Latin America, the founder of a new political party in Argentina, and a leader in the arts,
sampling the "best empanadas in Buenos Aires" (according to my Spanish teacher),
The empanadas even came with a "guide" so we knew which one was which.
lots of Shabbat celebrations,
Celebrating Shabbat at the Hillel in Buenos Aires 
and learning a bit of tae-kwon-do from my new friend Ibo.
Ibo is a member of Hebraica, where he participates in programs with hundreds of other Jewish kids every Saturday.
I have even started teaching English to my co-worker from Hebraica, Dani. We meet once a week for a couple hours and have been going over basic things such as asking questions or explaining how her day went. Last week while we were sitting in a cafe, our waitress came over and asked "Sos una profesora de ingles?" (Are you an English teacher?). I told her no, I'm just from the United States so just know English pretty well. She proceeded to hand me her card and asked if she could take classes with me. I wasn't sure what to say but gave her my email address and said she could email me and we could figure it out. So we shall see, I might become an English tutor! 

Ten months left to go on this crazy adventure and I am loving every minute of it. Thank you JDC Entwine for sending me and giving me this opportunity to connect with such an amazing community!

No comments:

Post a Comment