Sunday, August 4, 2013

numero uno / number 1


“Throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
– Mark Twain

This quote has inspired me ever since I walked into my 11th grade English class and saw it written on the board.  I have been fortunate to do quite a bit of exploring/traveling and try to live daily the idea of “If not now, when?”.

In three weeks I will be departing on my biggest adventure yet as I head to Buenos Aires, Argentina for a year as a Global Jewish Service Corp Fellow with JDC Entwine.  I am so excited for this opportunity and know that it will be a year of exploring and growing.

A little about me: I love Asian food, drink green tea almost every morning, have an acute shopping addiction, and love spending time with my family and friends. I graduated from the University of Virginia (Go Hoos!) in May and since then have been working to increase the amount of stamps on my passport.  Don’t’ believe I love traveling? This is where I have been this summer:


Outer Banks & Lake Lure, NC
Capetown & Kruger National Park, South Africa
Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe
Chobe National Park, Botswana
Copenhagen, Denmark
Berlin, Germany
Visby & Stockholm, Sweden
Riga, Latvia
Tallinn, Estonia
St. Petersburg, Russia
Helsinski, Finland
Houston, TX
New York City & Rochester, NY
Cleveland, OH
Washington, DC
Atlanta & Athens, GA
Virginia Beach, VA


I spent two months last summer in Buenos Aires with JDC Entwine so I am extremely excited to go back for a longer period of time! (more about my past adventures in Buenos Aires and with JDC later)  My next three weeks will include packing, researching, and spending time with friends and family.  I am definitely excited to go but also am extremely nervous.  Less than 20 days until departure!

Happy reading and as they say in Argentina, “Bienvenidos!” Welcome!
Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment