Tuesday, August 13, 2013

servicios en la comunidad / community service


“We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give.”
Winston Churchill

Last week I participated in Bright Beginnings with the Shady Grove YMCA, a program that takes eligible students from the community shopping and provides them with backpacks full of supplies so they can start the school year off on the right foot.  Forty volunteers matched up with thirty-five children to go shopping for a new jacket, shoes, socks, undies, and a few new outfits.
I got partnered with Nevayeh, a 5 year-old who will be entering kindergarten in the fall, and whose favorite colors are purple and pink.  We got some awesome pink sneakers, jeggings, polka dotted leggings, a “Monster High” t-shirt, a purple shirt, a pink shirt, a turquoise jacket, and more.  She loved trying on her new clothes and even asked if she could try on her shoes one more time in the check out line to make sure she loved them.  After shopping we ate dinner and talked with Nevayeh’s sister Tiona and other children Nevayeh knew in the program.  It was so fun shopping with Nevayeh; I asked her what she was most excited about for school and she said playing on the playground with her sister but she was also nervous and didn’t know if she wanted to start school.  I told Nevayeh not to be nervous because school is a lot of fun and told her she will make lots of new friends.

Participating in a service project in my local community a couple weeks before my year of service abroad made me think about this quote.  The past years, I have done as Winston Churchill says and have made giving part of my life.  I have traveled to do service work in places such as Baltimore, Israel, Ukraine, and Argentina, served as co-chair of Relay For Life at the University of Virginia this past year, raising over $143,000 for the American Cancer Society, and planned many philanthropy and community service events for sororities at UVa.  I have done these things because it makes me happy to be involved with these efforts.  Now as I start a career with nonprofit organizations, I really hope that I can one-up Winston Churchill and both make a living and life a life by what I give.  My first step will be working in Argentina…I can’t wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment