Monday, August 4, 2014

what the teens have to say about BBYO, part 2

For my last few days in Buenos Aires, I asked the teens I have been working with all year to share what they thought about BBYO & BBYO Argentina:

BBYO has had a great impact on my life. It was something totally new for me when I started last year. I think it is awesome that we get to communicate with people from different parts of the world and have found their lives are very similar to mine even though they live so far away. I have had a lot of wonderful experiences in BBYO such as going to IC 2014 in Dallas. 

BBYO has really opened a door in my life, something totally unexpected such as having friends living in Balkans, Israel, North America, U.K and many other places. Also, spreading the globalization as being part of the Global Networking Committee is something amazing. It was really interesting discussing Jewish issues in different parts of the globe and working together the entire year. I learned a lot of things and I’m sure next year is gonna be even better!

But I think most of this would not have been possible without Kate’s help. She was the one who led the BBYO movement here in Argentina and I will always be grateful to her. Thanks to her, we create partnerships with different regions and people, and we meet a lot of really cool people. Her work throughout the year couldn’t have been better.
-Ari Schwartz, 16

For me BBYO is a project where we can do what we really want to, a place where we can learn with our friends, and also meet new people from around the world. It is a big part of my life and I love it. I have learned so much about many different cultures and how the communities work in every country where BBYO is part of. It is amazing to think about the similarities and differences that we have with them.

Every year a fellow from the United States comes to Argentina and joins BBYO in our country. They teach us a lot of things and also become part of our lives. This year our fellow was Kate but she is about to leave. She has brought many new creative ideas to BBYO Argentina and made us work as a team. We love her so much and are gonna miss her a looooot.
-Gime Kalesnik, 18

BBYO is an amazing organization. I always look forward to Mondays when we have our BBYO programs. The BBYO project here in Argentina started less than three years ago. This year we changed the dynamic, starting to plan programs ourselves instead of the madrichim planning, and this makes the project grow because we get to do activities according to our interest. BBYO Argentina is a very young project that has a lot in its future. I think its incredible and unique that in BBYO, you can talk with teenagers like you from other countries, exchange cultures, talk about Jewish life in each place, each others lives in general, personal interests, and others things. BBYO Argentina is a place where we all have a voice, where we discuss, talk about the things that worry us in the present, where we do J-Serve, have cultural exchanges, celebrate some Jewish holidays, and its the place where everyone can be who they really are.
-Tami Kusnir, 17

I've liked BBYO from the first day for its originality and the surprises that arise. What I like most in this project is the ability to connect with other cultures and people who are far away that we don't have the opportunity to connect with otherwise. My favorite memory is when the French scouts came to Argentina and we shared games, a barbecue, and many laughs with them. In BBYO I learned that even though I might think of people as strangers, they can actually be very similar to us and share many customs and other things. And that I connect with Jews from all over the world through friendship. Kate connected us with all the Google Hangouts that we did with teens in other countries. I have good memories with Kate, she is always happy and responsible. I notice day after day her commitment.
-Martin Dubiansky, 16

BBYO has had a huge impact on my life so far. It is a beautiful project that we enjoy a lot. It is an excellent idea that teens between the ages of 14 and 18 can have a teen led space to organize different types of activities for their peers (this did not exist in my life before BBYO). I think it is an incredible space of exchange, debate, learning, and much more. I see how all my friends arrive each Monday super enthusiastic for the project. I am really proud to be a part of this project and hope to help it continue to grow year after year.
-Mai Stamati, 17

No comments:

Post a Comment