Sunday, July 6, 2014

un mes más / one more month

I am heading into my final month in Buenos Aires full of emotions. I cannot believe that almost a year has passed. I am sad thinking about wrapping up my yearlong adventure, excited to go back to the United States to be closer to family and friends, reminiscent of all the memories I've created, proud of the work I've done with the BBYO Hebraica partnership, overjoyed thinking about all the wonderful people that have entered my life, reflective on all that I have learned, and amused at all the Spanish errors I've made. 

But above all I feel incredibly thankful and blessed for all the wonderful people in my life. For my birthday yesterday, my friends here put together a video of all the people who have made this year so special for me. I was so touched by their kindness I burst into tears watching the video (this is extremely out of character for me, I'm not a crier). I was so overwhelmed by the thought and heart that went into making it and truly realized I have created a home for myself within this community. 

As I head into my last month, I want to challenge myself to a few things:
  • To uphold my resolution to really connect this year, making sure to focus my last month on strengthening and maintaining the relationships that are so important to me
  • Keep following the rules I set up for myself before this adventure began
  • Continue reflecting on all that I have learned this year and reflect on the question I was asked at lunch on Friday, "so you have been here for 11 months, how has the experience changed you?"
  • To eat at all the restaurants that remain on my Buenos Aires food exploration list 
  • Continue asking questions because as my supervisor Hache said to me the other day, "you know Kate, the thing I like about you is that you have been here for almost a year and yet you continue to ask questions to understand and deepen your experience"
  • Help support Baby Help's transition into the Tel Aviv School (more information to come)
  • To really think critically about how I'd like to finish my time in the community and make sure all that I have done this year will be sustainable and continue when I am gone
Here's to one more month!

1 comment: