Thursday, June 5, 2014

judíos jóvenes en buenos aires / young jews in buenos aires

In honor of Shavuot, a Jewish holiday celebrating learning, and because I frequently get asked where Jews can go to meet people or celebrate holidays in Buenos Aires, I created a list of Jewish organizations in the Buenos Aires community catering to the 18-30 crowd and how I've been involved with a few of them: 

Menora
  • Menora, located in Palermo, was founded through a Sephardi community in Buenos Aires that has lots of religious and social programs for young Jews. They even have a part called MINT, Menora Internationals, that caters to international Jews in Buenos Aires and includes things such as setting you up with families to go to for Shabbat and other Jewish holidays, events just for internationals, and also helps to incorporate you into the greater Menora community. 
  • My entry point: I had been told about Menora from the past JDC JSC Fellow that was here and she added me to their Facebook group. Through the group I have been set up to go to many family's houses for Shabbats and other holidays, gone to many Shabbats and other activities for internationals (like a yummy asado!) at the Menora center. A lot of my friends that respect Shabbat and live in Palermo use the MINT group a lot to find families to eat with and celebrate Shabbat. I have met some amazing friends (both locals and foreigners) at Menora!
  • Hillel exists in Argentina but in a slightly different format than what I was used to previously in the US at the Brody Jewish Center at UVa. Since Argentines are still in university until they are about 26, Hillel caters to young Jews from about 18-30 years old and has different mini-clubs within it such as a business group, architecture group, volunteering group, conversation club, communication group, medicine group, and more. Most of the activities for Hillel in Buenos Aires take place in their beautiful Hillel house in Belgrano.
  • My entry point: I first went to Hillel in Buenos Aires with a JDC Entwine Insider Trip in August 2013. In true Hillel fashion, the Engagement Director asked about my interests, how long I would be in Argentina for, and if I wanted to get involved. I soon started going to Hillel's Conversation Club which is a group of Argentines meeting to practice their English and foreigners that want to practice their Spanish. It's super fun and a great way to meet people.
El Lazo
  • El Lazo is a Chabad (Jabad) house in Palermo that has a bustling youth department. They have weekly free Shabbat dinners that are sometimes fun themed, courses throughout the week, trips to places in Argentina and around the world, and more. 
  • My entry point: I first went to El Lazo for a Shabbat dinner and have also gone for other Shabbat dinners, a Passover Seder, and most recently, an Italian themed Shavuot dinner.
  • Moishe House is an international non-profit organization made up of a collection of homes throughout the world that serve as hubs for the young adult Jewish community. There is a Moishe House in Buenos Aires (Ville Crespo neighborhood) where a few young Jews live and they host social, religious, and fun programs a few times a month.
  • My entry point: I first went to Moishe House with a JDC Entwine Insider Trip when I was in Argentina in 2012. The people that live at the house are fun and wonderful, I hope I can make it to some other events there before I leave. 
  • Iacoob House is actually a hostel in Belgrano that is lleno (full) of Israeli travelers and some other Jews. If you need a place to stay for a few days in Buenos Aires and you keep kosher, respect Shabbat, etc. it is a great place to stay because they do weekly Shabbat dinners, have a kosher kitchen, are close to kosher grocery stores, etc.  
  • My entry point: I have had friends that have stayed in Iacoob house and I went with a friend visiting from Israel to a Shabbat dinner there back in November. Lots of food, lots of Israelis, and a lot of fun!
  • Kol Rina is the first independent minion in Buenos Aires that was created by a group of young people who celebrate Shabbat together once a month with services followed by dinner. They usually meet in the rabbinical seminary in Belgrano and there is always lots of singing, dancing, and yummy food.
  • My entry point: I first went to Kol Rina with the past JDC JSC Fellow in July 2012 and then went again with a JDC Entwine Insider Trip in April 2014. It is always a great time and a great way to celebrate Shabbat.
  • Studio Shenkin holds free workshops for young Jews in all different types of areas including astrology, hip hop, rikkudim (Israeli dancing), tango, cooking classes, circus and clown classes, kabalah, photography, Hebrew, percussion, theater, and more. I haven't had the chance to take any because of my work schedule but have heard they are lots of fun!
  • Just like Taglit-Birthright in the US, Taglit is huge here in Argentina and sends trips over the winter and summer each year. I have friends that have gone or have been madrichim (madrijim in Argentina, counselors) for the trips. If you'll be in Argentina for an extended period of time and are Birthright eligible, try to apply for a trip here!
Also, here are some other Jewish organizations that have been suggested to me but I haven't yet had a chance to experience:

Iala 

Hope this helps those of you who will be traveling to Buenos Aires and want to get involved with the Jewish community! I will try to continue adding to the list as my time goes on. What are the other great organizations catering to the 18-13 Jewish crowd in Buenos Aires?

No comments:

Post a Comment