Monday, September 2, 2013

poder de una comunidad judía / power of the Jewish community

¿Hola Kate, tenés un lugar para celebrar Rosh Hashanah? Si no, puedes celebrar con mi familia.
Hi Kate, Do you have a place to celebrate Rosh Hashanah? If not, you will come celebrate with my family.

I moved to Buenos Aires a week ago and I cannot tell you how many times I have been asked this question this past week.  How did I get so lucky to be part of a community that no matter where I am in the world, I will be welcomed into the homes of "strangers"?

The Jewish community of Buenos Aires has been overwhelmingly welcoming and hospitable and I have already had the pleasure of seeing a plethora of Jewish organizations at work. Although I am working for the JDC,  a Jewish organization, it is also one of my goals to explore many of the other Jewish organizations in Buenos Aires.  So far I have:

-visited the Buenos Aires Hillel and will be going to their "Conversation Club" next week (a group of Argentinan people and foreigners who want to practice their English or Spanish)

-met Jewish people my age from London, France, and Venezuela all in Buenos Aires for various reasons including studying, volunteering, working, and traveling
-celebrated Shabbat with a Chabad Rabbi and his family (he has 11 children) including hearing a great rabbinic tale (in Spanish!) about having a home away from home
-went to a sushi and cocktail event hosted by Menora, a group that provides social and religious programming for Jewish young people 18-28 years old

Whether celebrating Shabbat, Jewish holidays, or hanging out with Jews from around the world, being Jewish by default makes me part of a global community. I know that no matter where I travel to, I will be instantly welcomed by the local Jewish community as if it was my own family.

I am so thankful to be a part of this global community.


ps. I'll let you know where I end up spending my Rosh Hashanah...

No comments:

Post a Comment