Friday, December 13, 2013

el tiempo / time

Living somewhere so different makes me think about the concept of time . Time feels different. I find myself counting more than I ever have before. When I think of how to measure my time in Buenos Aires, I think of counting the days/months I´ve been here, comparing the minutes it takes me on subway journeys, how many bananas I buy each week (a lot!), the amount of kids that show up to programs, how many entries I´ve written on my blog (& how many people are reading), the amount of pesos in my wallet, how many cups of tea I drink a day, the hours I work, the amount of medialunas I eat each week (or each day), how many times I get asked by someone if I can be set up with their friend, the friends I´ve made, the accumulation of things (traditional table covering, ever-growing wine cork collection, I even bought a menorah), counting down the days until my family visits, how many Shabbats I´ve spent and where, and more. This might be a coping mechanism, a way to pass my time, or a way to remember the things I have been experiencing; I think it is a mix of all of these things. 

I struggle with whether I should keep or stop counting because good arguments exist for both sides. Some times I want to make sure to document everything I am experiencing so when I think back years later I will have those photos, blog posts, and journals to look back on and other times I want to throw my hands in the air and just live in the moment without measuring time in any sort of way. Part of me says "Oh Kate, you still have over eight months here, you have plenty of time to do the things you want to do" while the other part is saying "Kate, what are you doing ever sitting at home, you only have eight months left in this country...vamos (lets go)". 

I had a moment last night where I realized I had been doing a bit too much. I have worked every day for the last two and a half weeks, have been to five end-of-year celebrations this week (and have two more today), and am on my last clean clothes because I havenot had time to do laundry. I constantly hear people around me saying there just are not enough hours in the day and this week I have definitely felt this way. I think time is something everyone struggles with at some point but honestly I would not have it any other way. I will have plenty of time to sleep someday and for now (meaning the next 8 /2 months I have in Buenos Aires) I want to live, experience, and explore. Now off to my end-of-year celebrations!

No comments:

Post a Comment